MENU

 

                THE BUREAU OF WORKING CONDITIONS (BWC), a staff bureau of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), started as the Bureau of Industrial Safety (BIS) on June 10, 1949 through Republic Act 367.

 

            The Bureau underwent several structural changes. After a year of existence, BIS was changed to Division of Industrial Safety in 1950. It became the Bureau of Labor Standards (BLS) on December 10, 1956 by virtue of Executive Order 218 providing for the Implementing Details for Reorganization Plan 20-A.

 

            The Bureau of Labor Standards (BLS) is recognized as the mother of other Bureaus in the Department. In 1960, the Women and Minors Division of then BLS under the Rat Plan BWYW and BRW are now merged to Bureau of Workers with Special Concerns.

 

              BLS was renamed the Bureau of Working Conditions (BWC) on May 1, 1982 by virtue of Executive Order No. 797 and a new Labor Standards Research Division (LSRD) was added to the existing divisions of the Bureau, namely Inspection Standards Division (ISD), Wage and Hour Standards Division (WHSD) and Occupational Safety and Health Division (OSHD). The purpose or concept was to expand the functions of the Bureau to generate relevant studies and information on occupational safety and health in aid of policy formulation.